SERVE AND VOLUNTEER!
Get connected by taking the next step!
First, we want to say THANK YOU for your willingness to give of your time and talents to serve. Serving is the foundation of the church. Jesus did not come to be served, but to serve (Matthew 20:28), and that’s how we should live our lives. God has designed each of us to serve in areas based on our passions, gifts, and talents. We want to help you find that place! When you serve in the area God designed for you, it’s not only beneficial to those you serve, but it’s also rewarding to you.
Check out all the different ministries and areas you can volunteer here at Cumming First UMC!
- Modern Worship Opportunities
- Greeters: Just Smile and Wave. Answers questions about where the bathroom is, kid’s small groups, and direct folks to the digital bulletin on Church Center.
- Set-Up Team: A 1-2 times per month commitment to setting up service on Fridays or Saturdays.
- Tech Team: Support with Audio, Video, Lyrics, Camera, and or Lights. You don’t even have to know how to do it. We’ll train you!!!
- A Volunteer Coordinator for Modern Worship: Someone who is willing to do just that; coordinate all our volunteers through Planning Center Services. Jake will train you.
- Click here to contact Jake Riggs, Modern Worship Director
- Student Ministry Volunteer Opportunities
- Middle School Sunday School Teacher: A 1-2 twice a month commitment to teaching Sunday school to our Middle School students here at CFUMC. We provide you with a teacher’s guide for that Sunday’s lesson and all the necessary materials to make it a fun morning for everyone!
- Click Here to contact Ben Mayfield, Student Ministries Director
- Children’s Ministry Volunteer Opportunities
- Sunday Morning Kid’s Worship Team Member: Spend the morning with some awesome kids! Help lead a small group one Sunday a month. Age groups are PreK & Kindergarten, 1st – 2nd Grade, 4th & 5th Grade. Teacher plans and all materials provided.
- Third Grade “Learning to Use My Bible” Class: Every child at CFUMC receives an engraved gift Bible as they begin their 3rd grade school year. This year long class begins each September. Serve one Sunday every 6-8 weeks leading our 3rd Grade students to learn, love and be inspired by the word of God! Teacher plans and all materials provided.
- Sunday Morning Check-In / Greeter: Serve one Sunday a month welcoming families and assisting with the Kid’s Check-In process.
- Summer Lunch Bag Packer: We will pack food bags on Thursdays throughout the summer. Sign up on the SignUpGenius link on the Children’s Ministry page.
- Summer Lunch Delivery Person: Every Thursday we deliver a weekly bag of food to children’s homes in Forsyth County this summer. Each delivery route includes 2-4 homes.
- VBS Volunteer: Join us for this “super-fun” week, July 26th-30th from 9:00-12:00 each day. Serving opportunities include Classroom leader, Crafts, Science, Recreation, Snack and Bible Storytelling. Sign up on the Children’s Ministry page. Complimentary Nursery (0-3yrs) provided for volunteers.
- Food Pantry Volunteer Opportunities
- Set-Up Person/Team: A person (or a little family) to set up tables each week/move stack chairs as needed to get the food pantry ready for business on Sunday sometime after the 11 o’clock service. This could be every other week.
- Food Unloader: A person to help once or twice a month to help unload food deliveries from the food banks.
- Community Food Distributors: A once-a-month commitment to deliver food to people in the various surrounding communities that we serve.
- Click here to contact Barbara Ledbetter, Food Pantry Coordinator
- Upward Sports Volunteer Opportunities
- Popsicle Distributor: Pass out popsicles at our different seasonal sporting opportunities. It’s nice for the parents and kids to see others from the church.
- Click here to contact Barbara Ledbetter, Upward Sports Director
- Ensemble Program Opportunities
- Chancel Choir: It is a multi-generational choir open to high school age through older adults. The group sings a wide variety of music styles including, chant, renaissance, classical, hymn-based, gospel, jazz, etc. No audition or training necessary, although an ability to match pitch and willingness to commit to the rehearsal and worship schedule is required.
- Student Choral Ensemble: It is a high school age choir made up of both Choral Scholars (students who have auditioned to receive a small stipend along with increased responsibilities) and volunteers. The group sings a wide variety of music styles including, chant, renaissance, classical, hymn-based, gospel, jazz, etc. No audition or training necessary, although an ability to match pitch is required.
- Click here to contact John Hutchinson, Music & Arts Director
- Intercessory Prayer Ministry
- Prayer Team: The very essence of the Intercessory Prayer Ministry is to provide anyone in crisis a group to turn to for prayer. Prayer is a gift of love we can give, and it requires only a sincere and compassionate heart. You will be asked to pray each week for the prayer requests that you receive either by mail or email. You will pray for the needs of our Church family, our community, and the world.
- Click here to contact Kim Medlin & Linda Robertson, Co-Directors of the Intercessory Prayer Ministry
- Women’s Ministry
- Happy Knotters: The Happy Knotters group is a UMW (United Methodist Women) group here at Cumming First UMC that meets to make blankets to provide a source of comfort, warmth, and love to patients entering the NGMC hospice unit. They also make “Memory Bears” for families of patients who have experienced a death. Open to women of all ages and celebrates an inclusive membership and welcomes all women who want to join us! This group meets the last Saturday of some months from 10:00 am to noon.
- Click here to contact Glenda Thurmond, Happy Knotters Leader
- Traditional Worship Opportunites
- Greeters: Create a warm and welcoming environment for all new & returning guests joining us for worship on Sunday mornings.
- Click here to contact Kristy Thompson, Church Administrator
- Church Office Volunteer Opportunities
- Office Assistant: To serve the staff by assisting in office operations. Some of the responsibilities include: answer phones during staff meetings, help with communications, Gather arts and crafts supplies for the Children’s Ministry, and things of that nature. The time varies during the week, you can commit to as much or little as your schedule allows. We welcome all the help we can get!
- Click here to contact Alex Hensley, Communicators Director
Fill out the form below, indicating which opportunities you’re interested in so that we can put you in contact with specific leaders that best fit your specific passions, gifts and talents.