Here at Cumming First United Methodist Church, we are sharing the GREATEST STORY ever told. That story is of God’s love for us demonstrated through the life, death, and example of Jesus the Christ. We have new life in Christ. Our purpose is to be a community of love and forgiveness through our love of God and each other. With this purpose, we are equipped with a call to DO GOOD to our neighbors in the community, country, and world. We strive to live each day with the intentional objective to love God, love each other, and do good.
BEGAN OUR FIRST CHURCH
Cumming First United Methodist church began around 1832, meeting in homes of members.
CHURCH IS ESTABLISHED
In 1836, one acre of land was purchased for $50.00 by the Trustees of Cumming Episcopal Church. A log meeting house was built on this tract near the corner of Hwy. 9 and Pilgrim Mill Rd.
WHITE FRAME CHURCH
This building was sold in 1840, and a white frame church was erected.
NEW BRICK BUILDING
In 1914, a new brick building was erected at the corner of School and Mason Streets.
Cumming Methodist Church was incorporated on September 12, 1957. Bonds were sold and a new building was erected on land donated by the Mashburn family at 410 Pilgrim Mill Rd.
By 1987, the membership had grown to 600, and the property was sold to the City of Cumming. Services continued at the Pilgrim Mill Rd. location until the first phase of new site on Canton Hwy was completed.
NEW 28-ACRE SITE
The church moved to the new 28 acre site on the side of Sawnee Mountain on January 6, 1990.
NEW CHURCH NAME
In October, 1996, our name was legally changed to Cumming First United Methodist Church.
In 1999, a dedicated team of volunteers began to design and oversee the construction of the present sanctuary.
On September 15, 2002 the present sanctuary was consecrated. This additional space has allowed us to expand our community outreach and provide the worship space needed for this growing congregation.