Re-Opening Plan for Cumming FUMC
Cumming FUMC is committed to the health and well-being of all its members and the community. We take seriously the admonition by our founder, John Wesley, to “first, do no harm.” As we prepare to gradually reintroduce in-person worship, gatherings, and activities, we will be guided by the recommendations of public health officials, our conference leadership and our own direct experience.
Our primary act together is corporate worship which will resume no sooner than June 28 per the Bishop and Conference. When we resume, services will be presented with slight alterations using social distancing and conference guidelines such as:
- All members are required to wear face masks when in attendance. (The church will have a limited supply to provide to those unable to secure their own masks.)
- Seating will be guided by the usher team and pre-service registration will be requested for all those wishing to attend to ensure we do not exceed social distancing guidelines. Instructions for registration will be forthcoming.
- We urge in the strongest terms that all members who feel sick or in “at risk” categories continue to worship with us onlinefrom the safety of home.
In accordance with recommended guidelines, services will temporarily forgo acts that require close proximity or physical contact such as but not limited to:
- Passing of the Peace
- Passing of the offering plates
- Use of printed bulletins
- Baptisms, communion, confirmation
Initially, children’s worship and nursery will not take place and families are urged to use this time to worship together. However, we will be introducing new ways to share in communal acts with each other. In the midst of uncertainty, we will still be the church together!
For now, the church office will remain closed during the week and all in-person Sunday School classes, Bible study groups, reunion groups, children/youth activities, etc. will remain suspended beyond resumption of in-person worship. These activities will resume no sooner than August. We encourage all groups to continue to reach out through online social media and meeting platforms. The staff will continue to reach out with their online devotionals and activities. New adventures in communicating await!
We will continually re-evaluate and update all plans and will remain in constant communication with our church leadership and membership. Our expectation is to gradually add in-person worship and meeting activities as safety and prudence permits. By necessity, our plans will remain flexible and fluid based on current information. We are the church together.